Victoria sponge cakeBiskuitkuchensponge cake makes a nice addition to afternoon tea. Try out the recipe below.
Victoria sponge cake
- 4 eggs
- 200 g caster sugarfeiner Streuzuckercaster sugar
- 200 g butter (soft)
- 200 g flourMehlflour
- 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
- 250 ml double cream (whipped creamSchlagsahnewhipped cream)
- 6 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar (for dustingBestäubendusting)
Heat your oven to 190 °C / 375 °F / gas 5. Grease two 20 cm sandwich tins. Put the sugar and butter into a bowl and beat until the mix is smooth. Add the eggs slowly one by one. Finally, fold in the flour and baking powder. Divide the mix into the two sandwich tins and bake for around 20 minutes until the cakes are golden. Take out of the oven and leave to cool completely. Turn one cake upside down and spread the jam on it. Spread the whipped cream over the jam, and then place the second cake on top. Dust with icing sugar.