While many politicians have been caught using bad language in occasional “off” moments, none have cursed more often in public than the current US president, Donald Trump. His speeches and tweets are full of taboo words and topics, as these quotes show:
- “Grab ’em by the pussy!” (2005)
- “Listen, you motherfuckers! We’re going to tax you 25 percent!” (2011)
- “Every time I speak of the haters and losers I do so with great love and affection. They cannot help the fact that they were born fucked up!” (2014)
- “I would bomb the shit out of ’em!” (2015)
- “They're ripping the shit out of the sea.” (2016)
- “Get that son of a bitch off the field right now!” (2017)
Many Trump supporters welcome this “authentic” use of bad language, believing it shows that he is down to earth and not afraid of telling the honest truth.
However, a lot of people dislike Trump’s use of profanity and worry that is has created the feeling that using bad language is acceptable in everyday life. It’s not only the language he uses that offends people, but the apparentscheinbar, offenbarapparent normalization of misogynyFrauenfeindlichkeitmisogyny, sexual innuendosexuelle Anspielungsexual innuendo and racism.
As a general rule, we should heedbeachtenheed the advice many American mothers are giving their children: just because Trump says it, doesn’t mean that you should!